St Peter Port is the finest safe anchorage in the Channel Islands and has been of strategic and trading importance for thousands of years; its tiers of historic and modern buildings rising from the waterfront and the imposing Castle Cornet create the perfect backdrop for visitors arriving by boat.
On the southern edge of this waterfront lies Havelet Bay, which is currently undergoing something of a transformation. First the Half Moon café was developed to create the Octopus restaurant. Next it was the turn of the old Slaughterhouse which has been refurbished and repurposed as a restaurant and bar. There has also been an impressive community project, supported by many individuals and groups in the island, to set about restoring the Victorian promenade and bathing pools. This work is ongoing but already the area has been transformed with landscaping, new planting and repair works to the pools are in progress. The newly refurbished aquarium also benefits and contributes to the attraction of this area.
The combined effect of both commercial and voluntary effort to uplift and rejuvenate an area is a winning combination that groups such as the Town Centre Partnership actively encourage. Clearly this part of town is a place both islanders and local businesses feel passionately about.
An exciting part of this area’s redevelopment is the new Havelet Waters residential scheme. Few can have failed to notice the site, which is under development and due for completion in 2018. Lovell Ozanne Architects have been fortunate to be involved in this exciting project for ComProp.
Given Havelet Waters’ special situation on the island, it has been important to retain the existing brewery building’s historical significance, whilst maximising its enviable location and views to create something special which can both represent the island’s history and tradition and reflect contemporary housing needs. There is no doubt that this has been a complex project which has to overcome a very particular set of site conditions.
Respectful and Complimentary Design
A cornerstone of the Havelet frontage will be the rebuilt brewery house with its Georgian-style façade and arched entrance. Originally two dwellings, local merchant John Le Patourel combined them and started the first brewery in 1845 with continued expansion over several ownerships culminating in the founding of the Guernsey Brewery Company (1920) Ltd.
The large bottling plant and loading dock constructed to the north after the Occupation were considered to be of less historical interest and therefore a completely new and contemporary design will complement the brewery house and the traditional neighbouring properties ensuring Havelet Waters blends in with the unique character of the St Peter Port town seafront to provide 34 new high quality apartments.
We are confident that this is going to be a fantastic addition to Havelet Bay as it undergoes its rejuvenation.
ANDREW MALE, DIRECTOR
LOVELL OZANNE & PARTNERS LTD